Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gus's first deer hunt


Thursday night at 7:30 we were finally packed and ready to head out for our family adventure! We arrived around 11:00 and it was a windy blistery cold night. We unloaded the truck packed full of our camping supplies, and got our beds ready for the night. Stewart graciously had Gus and I sleep in the backseat of our megacab truck, while he slept outside on the car trailer we brought the jeep on. It sure was cozy in that backseat. Once the seats are laid down, the mattress pad and sleeping bad can be laid out. Gus and I shared the sleeping bag, which was fun cause I had never slept with Gus before and he cudled right up to me. I didn't sleep super well because I was waking up to make sure Gus was warm. Stewart said he slept well, I felt bad for him being outside but he had a tarp over him to keep the wind off. He probably slept better than I did, since he wasnt with the little man.
The next morning I woke up when I could see that light was beginging to appear over the horizon. I got dressed carefully as to not wake Gus up yet and made sure Stew was up so that we could go and find our Miracle Buck! I was looking for the miracle buck that would be just off the road friday morning. There were two reasons for this, one was because we had Gus with us and hiking alot is out of the question. Secondly we wanted to go over to another area where my family was hunting for my dads tag.


Anyway we get Gus all bundled up and jump into the warm jeep. Gus was SO cute in his big coat I couldnt help but look at him instead of looking for my Miracle Buck.


We decided to try and hike to a nearby nole and glass for deer in the surrounding area. So we trudge through bushes and drifts of snow. Gus was a pretty good sport of the cold, his little nose and cheeks got all red (making him even cuter) but when we got there and looked around for five minutes, Gus started to get fussy since we weren't moving. We tried hiding from the wind behind a rock, but we gave up and headed back to the jeep. It was better for Gus, to cold out there for my little man.


In our haste to get out that morning we forgot to bring a bottle for Gus!  He was getting tired and fussy he eventually fell asleep and we headed back to the truck for a bottle. But didn't stay long, we werent going to find my Miracle Buck at camp!


We drove around some more searching, glassing, and we found.....nothing! where is my miracle???


Well we werent finding the Miracle Buck, but Gus was having a good time driving! He just has a hard time concentrating on the road.



Finally we decided Gus needed to get out of the bouncy jeep, and we needed some lunch. So we drove back to camp and Gus and I jumped back into the warm truck while Stew made us some lunch.


Gus was watching him and smiling at him through the window


We headed back out for another evening drive and we did end up seeing a couple doe's, but that was pretty much it. It had also started to snow so we tried to stay in the jeep. The deer weren't moving around to much that day and we didn't blame them! It was freezing!


So the next day was a little warmer, the sun actually came out the only thing was the breeze was very chilly. We got braver and ventured out of the jeep. Stew had spotted a bigger buck on a hillside so he sent me out to see if I could find it in some trees. I will admit that I was nervous to go walking around by myself....but I mustered up all my courage and went. I had to cross a super steep canyon and up a hillside very quietly. I was getting nervous too because I was all alone and I knew that buck was somewhere nearby...I just didn't know where, I don't really like the idea of running nose to nose into a big animal with big horns! But I had put all that work into getting there, I wasn't going to waste it. So I sneak around downwind of where I think the buck might be....I saw his track, but never did see him. There was three doe and a two point that came within 150 yards but that buck was way to small to make dragging him back to the jeep worth my while. Besides, that big one was around here somewhere. It was just to thick for me to see him. Long story short, I never saw that big one and I headed back to the jeep. We then drove to another side of the mountain and decided to get off the road again, this time bringing Gus along with us. So stew put him in a little carrier and we hiked across a couple ridges. Gus seemed to like the adventure, but fell asleep on the way back! While we were out there we were glassing an area and I was trying to entertain him and keep him quiet. He was adimate about sucking on a rock! So I decided I would pick out the cleanest rock I could find and he could bite/suck on that one. Through all of this we discovered he was teething again! He was supposed to be getting his top two teeth but instead the teeth next to them are coming in! Gus is going to be a vampire for halloween.

We never did see any shooters, so we packed up and headed home Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment